(Happy Sunday, I have shared this message with my church family this morning. It is a message I hope will bring encouragement to us all at this time. Be blessed.)
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5v14-16
The reason I start with this verse is to encourage us to continue to use our whole lives to praise and worship the Lord. It is important at time like this, that praise is still something that is flowing from us. I believe that using our lives to worship and glorify the Lord, gives hope and light to those around us. May our strength be found in the joy of the Lord.
Some of us may be feeling, that it is hard to praise God at a time like this. Where our hearts have been crowded with anxiety and fear rather than hope and trust in the Lord. I want to offer a few points that lead us closer to God at a time like this. May we not be people who allow our lights to be dimmed but who shine brightly at a time when people really need the light.
- God is and always will remain faithful.
- God’s faithfulness continues to meet us in each day. It may not feel like life is happening, when each day can feel the same but the fact that we are still breathing reminds us that God is still in control.
- We see his faithfulness through every frontline worker who risks their life to go out and serve others. We see the strength and the determination the Lord gives each one, even when the working environment has been far from workable.
- We are able to praise the Lord for his faithfulness because the world keeps on moving. It may be at a slower pace, but life carries on as best as it can.
- God is worthy of our praise, even in the uncertainty of life.
- Jennie Allen [ Book:Get out of your head] ‘God is a God who provides exactly what I need. Even if my worst nightmare comes true.’
- We trust in a God who is worthy of our praise, even in the lowest moments of our lives because he is with us through it all. Sometimes the season can be long and daunting but it will eventually pass.
- Praise helps to remind us of all that God has done in our lives. How many times he has helped us to conquer our battles and has pulled us out of any situation we were sinking in.
- Maybe in this season, you are feeling overwhelmed and finding it hard to see the good. May we learn to praise the Lord not for just what he does for us but praise him for who he is.
- God is so worthy of our praise, even when hope seems dim. God never breaks his promises, he will never leave us or forsake us.
- ‘Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget all the good things he does for me.’ (Psalm 103v2 NLT)
- Praising God helps to restore our minds and hearts.
- When we worship it helps us to lift our eyes off of the circumstance, we are in.
- We can find peace in his presence as we worship the Lord.
- It helps to recenter our thoughts. When our minds have been held captive by worries and fears; worshipping the Lord reminds us to speak truth and seek truth over the situation.
- “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55v8-9)
- Praising God, enables us to celebrate the big and the small victories.
- The acts of kindness that are being displayed by people all around the world, to bring support and love to their communities.
- We see those who go the extra mile to care for those who would easily go forgotten at a time like this.
- Let us praise God for those who do not give up on hope, who with a determined spirit see an opportunity and use it to serve and help others.
- May we be the people who cheer people on, through the big and the small victories.
- Worship gives us the motivation to keep moving forward.
- Worship is a beautiful way to encourage one another. To come together and share what the Lord has been doing. For in sharing, we are not alone and our troubles come into the light. That is where the healing truly begins.
- ‘Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.’ (1 Thessalonians 5v11)
Worship is not just the words from our mouth but it is the cry of our hearts. It is the work of our hands and our love extended to others. Praise can be lifted throughout every situation in life because ‘Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.’ (Hebrew 13v8)
‘Even if God never did another good thing in our lives, we could spend the rest of this one praising him for what he has done already’ Dillion Burroughs.
Application: May we not be people who allow our lights to be dimmed but who shine brightly at a time when people really need the light.